In 2004, excited by the promise of river cruising, we were determined to invigorate the experience that, at the time, was characterized by older ships, limited space and land excursions operated as an afterthought. We were inspired to create a different kind of river cruise experience—one that would embrace and celebrate everything special about the travel style, so we unveiled Avalon Waterways.
With the launch of our very first ship, Avalon's inspired design innovations became the new standard, including the introduction of floor-to-ceiling windows and French balconies on two decks of every Avalon vessel. We developed a Silent Drive System (SDS) for the stern of each ship to ensure our travelers the most quiet cruise experience possible. We were also the first to bring a larger stateroom with deluxe hotel-style amenities to an entire fleet. And, we elevated interior design from classic and traditional to contemporary and bright.
Maybe it's our Swiss heritage that gives us our passion for details, but we're the only river cruise operator that's personally involved from ship design to delivery – and every point in between. From meticulous millwork to hand-applied finishes, from designer lighting to enhanced soundproofing, from the conception and flow of the lounges to the placement of the windows, our ships are thoughtfully designed and appointed with materials praised for their quality, beauty and functionality. And, that's just on our ships.
Off our ships, our award-winning land programs transform tourists into travelers and storytellers and help them truly experience each destination with guided sightseeing in every port (complete with headsets), engaging port lectures, VIP access into key destinations, no waiting in lines and great cultural immersion and storytelling thanks to highly skilled Cruise and Tour Directors.
Year after year, thanks to the continuous feedback and encouragement of our travelers, Cruise Directors and travel agent partners, Avalon Waterways has unveiled new ships, amenities and experiences that set the standard in river cruising. Our views are panoramic and spaces large and inviting; comfort is king and dining is for your taste. And, thanks to our heritage through Globus, our itineraries are legendary.
Like the very rivers we travel, Avalon is continually moving forward, making improvements and embracing the world beyond. And it's this approach – our drive to exceed guest expectations by pushing the boundaries of the river cruise experience – that makes us not only the most contemporary cruise line on Europe's waters, but also the most consistent.
Did You Know?
Fun Facts About Avalon’s Suite Ships:
- You could post 1,408 of your favorite vacation Polaroids on one floor-to-ceiling, Wall-to-Wall Panorama Window. If every passenger did this on their suite windows, they could view 92,928 pictures.
- One hundred (100) cruisers could fit in one 200-square foot Panorama Suite – Let the cocktail party begin!
- The 304 windows used on the Suite Ships provide the best views available on the world's most picturesque rivers could create an all-weather glass encasement for Lady Liberty (most of the windows measure ~11-feet x 7-feet).
- Industry experts say that the average television screen size could reach an unprecedented 60-inches in American households by 2015. The ultimate HD experience (floor-to-ceiling Wall-to-Wall Panorama Windows measuring 132-inches x 96-inches, showcasing Europe's passing landscapes) will be available in suites. And, these monster "screens" come complete with fresh air.
- The average European river cruise ship balcony is used 150 hours a year (and that's being generous). The Open Air BalconyTM in each Suite can be enjoyed 8,760 hours a year – at any time of day, in any weather condition.
- The typical cruise ship balcony fits two to five passengers comfortably; the approximately 50-square foot Open-Air BalconyTM on Avalon's new Suite ships allow for a 15-person social gathering.
- Each Suite bathroom is large enough to fit 1,512 folded, luxury robes: Robes are available on all of Avalon's European ships.
- Suites are, on average, 30 percent larger than the standard industry stateroom.
- The Suite Ships boasts 1,550% more suites than any other river cruise vessel on Europe's waters (it's the first ship of its kind!).