Visitors can enjoy all that Akranes has to offer including the riverfront, seafood restaurants, and northern lights. Tourists can also enjoy the city's golf courses and monuments. Hallgrimskirkja, Reykjavik City Hall, and National Museum of Iceland are some of the top sights around the area.
- There are 6 hotels and other accommodations in Akranes
- The closest major airport is in Reykjavik (RKV-Reykjavik Domestic), 14.6 mi (23.4 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Reykjavik (KEF-Keflavik Intl.), 31.5 mi (50.8 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Akranes
A couple of favorite places to visit are Leynir Golf Club and Akranes Lighthouse. In the area, you'll also find Hallgrimskirkja and Reykjavik City Hall.
As you plan your holiday getaway, you'll find 6 hotels and other lodging options to pick from in Akranes. Here you'll find top ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Hotel Laxarbakki - With a stay at this 3.5-star apartment, guests can enjoy access to a restaurant and free parking, along with free WiFi. Expedia travelers love its family-friendly amenities and dining options.
- Gallery Guesthouse - Our customers like the beach locale and helpful staff at this guesthouse. Amenities at this 2.5-star guesthouse include free parking and free WiFi.
Popular places to visit in the area include National Museum of Iceland, 13.8 mi/22.2 km from the heart of the city, and Perlan, which is 14.7 mi (23.7 km) away.
Dressing for Akranes
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 41°F during the day and 28°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 55°F, while the average at night is 32°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 57°F with nighttime averages of 40°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 48°F and nighttime averages of 29°F
- About 30.71 inches of rain falls on Akranes each year
- Usually July and August are the hottest months with an average of 56°F, whereas January and February are often coldest, averaging 28°F