Nature enthusiasts will enjoy exploring Alajuela, and visitors give high marks for the shopping, top-notch restaurants, and beautiful gardens. This city also attracts tourists with its architecture. Top sights around the area include Museum of Costa Rican Art, National Theater, and Spirogyra Butterfly Garden.
- You'll find 398 Expedia hotels and other accommodations in the larger area of San Jose
- The closest major airport is in San Jose (SJO-Juan Santamaria Intl.), 1.4 mi (2.3 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in San Jose (SYQ-Tobias Bolanos Intl.), 6.5 mi (10.5 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Alajuela
The city's volcanoes and gardens provide a picturesque setting and places to visit include Central Park. Shopping is a favorite activity, so consider an excursion to Central Market Alajuela and City Mall. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Alajuela Cathedral and Estadio Alejandro Morera Soto.
In Alajuela, you'll find 55 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have ample places to choose from for a perfect vacation. Below are top ones based on our user reviews:
- Xandari Resort And Spa - With a stay at this 3.5-star resort, guests can enjoy access to a full-service spa and free breakfast, along with a private balcony. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its quiet location and helpful staff.
- Ruta Verde House - Our customers like the walkable location and clean, comfortable rooms at this B&B. With a stay at this 3-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with free WiFi.
- Bamboo Aparthotel - With a stay at this 3-star aparthotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers love its overall value and proximity to shopping.
Top places to visit in the area include Museum of Costa Rican Art, located 9.6 mi (15.5 km) from the city center, and National Theater, which is 10.9 mi (17.6 km) away.
Dressing for Alajuela
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 83°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 61°F
- From April to June, the average is 84°F during the day and 64°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 81°F during the day and 63°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 80°F as the daytime average and 62°F as the nighttime average
- Alajuela gets about 72.76 inches of rain per year
- April and May are usually the hottest months averaging 83°F, while January and December are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 62°F