Travelers to Caldera will find plenty to explore and enjoy. The closest major airport is in San Jose (SJO-Juan Santamaria Intl.), 36.3 mi (58.3 km) from the city center. The next closest is in San Jose (SYQ-Tobias Bolanos Intl.), 40.3 mi (64.9 km) away.
Sightseeing and Staying in Caldera
A favorite place to visit in the city is Caldera Port. Additionally, you'll find Puntarenas Beach and Puntarenas Pier in the area.
As you start planning your visit to Caldera, the best accommodation may not be centrally located but there are 10 hotels and lodging options locally. Listed here are places to stay within 5 miles of the city center.
- Hotel Luna de Mata de Limon is located in the heart of Caldera. This 2.5-star hotel in Caldera features free breakfast, a restaurant, and an outdoor pool.
- Doubletree By Hilton Central Pacific - All Inclusive is located within 0.8 mi (1.3 km) of the city center. This 3.5-star resort in Barranca features 4 outdoor pools, a full-service spa, and 3 restaurants. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its family-friendly amenities and beach locale.
Dressing for Caldera
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 83°F during the day and 61°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 84°F, while the average at night is 64°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 81°F with nighttime averages of 63°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 80°F and nighttime averages of 62°F
- Average annual rainfall for Caldera is 72.76 inches
- Usually April and May are the hottest months with an average of 83°F, whereas January and December are often coldest, averaging 62°F