Families will find kid-friendly activities in Dunkirk, and visitors give high marks for the top-notch restaurants. This city also attracts tourists with its university setting, lakeside setting, and shopping. A top sight in the city is Lake Erie.
- There are 36 hotels and other accommodations in Dunkirk
- The closest major airport is in Jamestown, NY (JHW-Chautauqua County), 23.3 mi (37.4 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Buffalo, NY (BUF-Buffalo Niagara Intl.), 43.6 mi (70.1 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Dunkirk
Cultural venues in the city include Dunkirk Historical Museum, Fredonia Opera House, and Darwin R. Barker Historical Museum. The city is notable for landmarks like Lily Dale Spiritual Center, Dunkirk Lighthouse and Veterans Park Museum, and Graycliff Conservancy. The city's natural setting is picturesque, including the lakeside and such places to visit as Lake Erie and Evangola State Park.
As you plan your holiday retreat, you'll find 36 hotels and other lodging options to select from in Dunkirk. These are top ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Quality Inn - With a stay at this 2.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a 24-hour fitness center, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its overall value and helpful staff.
- Clarion Hotel & Conference Center - Our customers like the dining options and beach locale at this hotel. With a stay at this 2.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with free WiFi.
- Theater Motel - With a stay at this 2-star motel, guests can enjoy access to free parking and a 24-hour front desk, along with an in-room refrigerator. Expedia customers like its overall value and quiet location.
One of the top places to see in the surrounding area is Chautauqua Institution, located 20.2 mi (32.4 km) from the city center.
Dressing for Dunkirk
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 49°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 19°F
- From April to June, the average is 79°F during the day and 31°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 80°F during the day and 49°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 66°F as the daytime average and 22°F as the nighttime average
- Average annual rainfall for Dunkirk is 37.91 inches
- July and August are usually the hottest months averaging 79°F, while February and January are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 20°F