Families will find kid-friendly activities in Elmira, and visitors give high marks for the fascinating museums, shopping, and top-notch restaurants. This city also attracts tourists with its university setting. A top sight in the area is Watkins Glen International.
- There are 38 hotels and other accommodations in Elmira
- The closest major airport is in Elmira, NY (ELM-Elmira - Corning Regional), 6.9 mi (11.1 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Ithaca, NY (ITH-Tompkins Regional), 33.2 mi (53.4 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Elmira
Well-known for its museums, the city's cultural venues include Corning Museum of Glass, Benjamin Patterson Inn Museum, and Arnot Art Museum. Notable city landmarks like Woodlawn Cemetery of Elmira and Mark Twain Study might be worth a visit. The picturesque setting of Eldridge Park and Endless Mountains exemplify the city's natural beauty.
As you plan your holiday retreat, you'll find 38 hotels and other lodging accommodations to pick from in Elmira. Below are highly ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Hampton Inn Elmira/Horseheads, NY - This 2.5-star hotel features free breakfast, an indoor pool, and free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its overall value and clean, comfortable rooms.
- Hilton Garden Inn Corning Downtown - Our customers like the pool and clean, comfortable rooms at this hotel. Guests who stay at this 3-star hotel in Gaffer District can enjoy access to a restaurant and an indoor pool, along with free WiFi.
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Elmira Corning - This 2.5-star hotel features free breakfast, an indoor pool, and free WiFi. Expedia customers like its family-friendly amenities and comfortable, quiet rooms.
Top places to visit around the area include Watkins Glen International, located 18.9 mi (30.5 km) from the heart of the city, and Watkins Glen State Park, which is 20.2 mi (32.5 km) away.
Dressing for Elmira
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 51°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 15°F
- From April to June, the average is 81°F during the day and 28°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 83°F during the day and 42°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 67°F as the daytime average and 17°F as the nighttime average
- Elmira gets about 36.32 inches of rain per year
- July and August are usually the hottest months averaging 81°F, while January and February are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 16°F