Travelers to Hvalfjörður will find plenty to explore and enjoy. Around the area, top sights include Hallgrimskirkja, Thingvellir National Park, and Skalafell Ski Area.
- There are 311 hotels and other accommodations in the surrounding area
- The closest major airport is in Reykjavik (RKV-Reykjavik Domestic), 18 mi (28.9 km) from the city center
Sightseeing and Staying in Hvalfjörður
Hallgrimskirkja, Thingvellir National Park, and Skalafell Ski Area are some of the notable places to visit in the surrounding region. Additionally, in the area you'll find Reykjavik City Hall and National Museum of Iceland.
As you plan for your vacation to Hvalfjörður, you might not find the perfect accommodation centrally located, but you can select from 311 hotels and other lodging options within the larger area. Listed here are places to stay in the region:
- Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Natura is located 18 mi (28.9 km) from the heart of Hvalfjörður. This 4-star hotel in Reykjavik features a full-service spa, a restaurant, and free WiFi. Our customers like its dining options and clean, quiet rooms.
- ODDSSON is 17.1 mi (27.5 km) from central Hvalfjörður. Guests who stay at this 2-star hostel in Reykjavik can enjoy access to a restaurant and free parking, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its dining options and clean, comfortable rooms.
- CenterHotel Thingholt is 17 mi (27.4 km) from the center of Hvalfjörður. Guests who stay at this 4-star hotel in Reykjavik can enjoy access to a full-service spa and free breakfast, along with free WiFi. Our customers like its bar and proximity to public transit.
One of the popular sights in the surrounding area is Perlan, located 17.9 mi (28.8 km) from the heart of the city.
Dressing for Hvalfjörður
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 41°F during the day and 28°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 55°F, while the average at night is 32°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 57°F with nighttime averages of 40°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 48°F and nighttime averages of 29°F
- Average annual rainfall for Hvalfjörður is 30.71 inches
- Usually July and August are the hottest months with an average of 56°F, whereas February and January are often coldest, averaging 28°F