Families will find kid-friendly activities in Metropolis, and visitors give high marks for the casinos and top-notch restaurants. Welcoming and vibrant, this city attracts tourists with its riverfront and museums. A top sight in the city is Shawnee National Forest.
- There are 21 hotels and other accommodations in Metropolis
- The closest major airport is in Paducah, KY (PAH-Barkley Regional), 9.6 mi (15.5 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Cairo, IL (CIR-Cairo Regional), 30 mi (48.3 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Metropolis
The city is well known for its museums and cultural venues like Super Museum and Americana Hollywood Museum. Notable city landmarks like Superman Statue and Fort Massac State Park might be worth a visit. The city's natural setting is picturesque, including the riverfront and such places to visit as Shawnee National Forest and Lake of Egypt.
As you plan your vacation, you'll find 21 hotels and other lodging options available to pick from in Metropolis. Below are top ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Quality Inn & Suites Metropolis I-24 - With a stay at this 2.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its overall value and convenient parking.
- Holiday Inn Express Metropolis - Our customers like the breakfast and comfortable, quiet rooms at this hotel. This 2.5-star hotel features a casino, free breakfast, and an indoor pool.
- Harrah's Metropolis Hotel & Casino - With a stay at this 3.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a casino and 3 restaurants, along with WiFi. Expedia customers like its dining options and comfortable, quiet rooms.
Dressing for Metropolis
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 64°F and the nighttime average to be 24°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 88°F during the day and 42°F at night
- July through September averages 89°F during the day and 52°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 76°F during the day and 25°F at night
- Metropolis gets about 46.96 inches of rain per year
- Hottest months are usually July and August with an average temperature of 88°F, while the coldest months are January and December with an average of 27°F