Visiting Northern Iceland
Nature enthusiasts will enjoy exploring Northern Iceland, and visitors give high marks for the lakeside setting. This relaxing city also attracts tourists with its northern lights and cafés.
- There are 257 hotels and other accommodations in Northern Iceland
- The closest major airport is in Akureyri (AEY), 16 mi (25.8 km) from the city center
Sightseeing and Staying in Northern Iceland
Cultural venues in the city include Skagafjordur Folk Museum, Icelandic Seal Center Museum, and Icelandic Folk Music Centre. Attractions like Arctic Botanical Gardens (Lystigardurinn), Hlidarfjall Akureyri, and Hverarondor Hverir are fun for kids of all ages. The city is notable for landmarks like Akureyri Church, North Iceland Marketing Office, and Blonduos Church.
In Northern Iceland, there are 257 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have ample places to choose from for a perfect holiday retreat. Here are highly ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Hafdals Hotel - With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its quiet location and helpful staff.
- Rjupa Guesthouse - Our customers love the WiFi and room size at this guesthouse. With a stay at this 2.5-star guesthouse, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with free WiFi.
- Guesthouse Svínavatn - This 2.5-star guesthouse features free WiFi, free parking, and a terrace. Expedia customers like its overall value and helpful staff.
Dressing for Northern Iceland
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 36°F and the nighttime average to be 25°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 57°F during the day and 28°F at night
- July through September averages 57°F during the day and 36°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 44°F during the day and 25°F at night
- Average annual rainfall for Northern Iceland is 1.18 inches
- Hottest months are usually July and August with an average temperature of 56°F, while the coldest months are January and December with an average of 25°F