Visiting Puerto Plata
Travelers to Puerto Plata give high marks for the beaches, entertainment choices, and lively bar scene. This relaxing city also attracts tourists with its live music and waterfalls. Top sights in the city include Pico Isabel de Torres, Ocean World Adventure Park, and Playa Dorada.
- There are 1214 hotels and other accommodations in Puerto Plata
- The closest major airport is in Puerto Plata (POP-Gregorio Luperon Intl.), 8.8 mi (14.2 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Santiago (STI-Cibao Intl.), 27.9 mi (44.9 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Puerto Plata
Well-known for its live music scene, the city's cultural venues include Amber Museum, Museum of Taino Art, and Malecón De Puerto Plata. Attractions like Ocean World Adventure Park, Puerto Plata Cable Car, and Fun City are fun for kids of all ages. The city is notable for landmarks like Pico Isabel de Torres, Isabel De Torres National Park, and Estatua de Gregorio Luperon.
In Puerto Plata, there are 1214 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have a variety of choices for a perfect holiday retreat. These are highly ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Millennium Resort & Spa - This 4-star resort features a full-service spa, free breakfast, and a restaurant. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its dining options and pool.
- Ocean Manor Resort Cabarete Dominican Republic - Our customers like the dining options and beach locale at this hotel. With a stay at this 3.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to 2 outdoor pools and a restaurant, along with a private balcony.
- Casa Valeria Boutique Hotel - With a stay at this 3.5-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its dining options and breakfast.
Other favorite sights in Puerto Plata include Playa Dorada, Sosua Beach, and Cofresi Beach. One of the top places to see outside the city is Fort San Felipe, located 0.5 mi (0.8 km) from the city center.
Dressing for Puerto Plata
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 89°F during the day and 68°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 93°F, while the average at night is 71°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 93°F with nighttime averages of 75°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 91°F and nighttime averages of 68°F
- About 46.04 inches of rain falls on Puerto Plata each year
- Usually July and June are the hottest months with an average of 93°F, whereas February and January are often coldest, averaging 68°F