Visiting Santa Monica
Travelers to Santa Monica give high marks for the beaches, shopping, and top-notch restaurants. Tourists who journey to this walkable city can discover its sporting events, cafés, and art. Top sights in the city include Santa Monica Pier and Venice Beach.
- You'll find 2644 Expedia hotels and other accommodations in the larger area of Los Angeles
- The closest major airport is in Santa Monica, CA (SMO-Santa Monica Municipal), 1.9 mi (3.1 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Los Angeles, CA (LAX-Los Angeles Intl.), 7.1 mi (11.5 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Santa Monica
The beaches and sunsets highlight the city's natural beauty with places to visit including Venice Beach, International Chess Park, and Original Muscle Beach. Shopping is one of the favorite things to do, so consider an excursion to Santa Monica Place, Third Street Promenade, and Montana Avenue. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Santa Monica Pier and Santa Monica History Museum.
In Santa Monica, you'll find 70 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have plenty of choices for your holiday retreat. Here you'll find top ones based on our user reviews:
- Oceana Beach Club Hotel - With a stay at this 4-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to a restaurant and an outdoor pool, along with free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its family-friendly amenities and quiet location.
- Channel Road Inn, A Four Sisters Inn - Our customers like the helpful staff and comfortable rooms at this B&B. This 4-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, free WiFi, and free parking.
- Casa Del Mar - Guests who stay at this 5-star hotel in Ocean Park can enjoy access to a restaurant and an outdoor pool, along with WiFi. Expedia customers like its bar and beach locale.
Outside the city, popular places to see include J. Paul Getty Museum, located 3.9 mi (6.4 km) from the heart of the city, and Sony Pictures Studios, which is 4.9 mi/7.9 km away.
Dressing for Santa Monica
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 64°F and the nighttime average to be 51°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 69°F during the day and 53°F at night
- July through September averages 71°F during the day and 62°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 70°F during the day and 51°F at night
- About 12.09 inches of rain falls on Santa Monica each year
- Hottest months are usually August and September with an average temperature of 70°F, while the coldest months are December and January with an average of 51°F