Visiting South Lake Tahoe
Travelers to South Lake Tahoe give high marks for the lakeside setting, ski areas, and casinos. This city also attracts tourists with its mountain views and entertainment choices. Around the area, top sights include Heavenly Ski Resort, Kirkwood Mountain Resort, and Stewart Indian School.
- You'll find 3394 Expedia hotels and other accommodations in the larger area of Lake Tahoe
- The closest major airport is in Lake Tahoe, CA (TVL), 1.5 mi (2.4 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Truckee, CA (TKF-Truckee Tahoe), 29 mi (46.7 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in South Lake Tahoe
The lakeside, hiking trails, and mountain views highlight the city's natural beauty, and Pope Beach, Bijou Community Park, and Regan Beach are worth a visit. Skiing, snowboarding, and camping are top activities, while sights to visit include Heavenly Ski Resort and Heavenly Gondola. A couple of additional sights to add to your agenda are Magic Carpet Golf and Lake Tahoe Balloons.
In South Lake Tahoe, there are 1312 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have plenty of choices for your holiday retreat. Below are highly ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Deerfield Lodge at Heavenly - With a stay at this 3-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with an in-room fireplace. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its overall value and helpful staff.
- Zalanta Resort at the Village - Our customers like the proximity to shopping and comfortable beds at this condo resort. With a stay at this 4-star condo resort, guests can enjoy access to a casino and an outdoor pool, along with an in-room kitchen.
- Black Bear Lodge - This 4-star lodge features free WiFi, free parking, and a bar. Expedia customers like its helpful staff and proximity to shopping.
Outside the city, top places to visit include Kirkwood Mountain Resort, located 16.2 mi (26.1 km) from the heart of the city, and Stewart Indian School, which is 19.4 mi/31.2 km away.
Dressing for South Lake Tahoe
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 51°F and the nighttime average to be 16°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 77°F during the day and 25°F at night
- July through September averages 82°F during the day and 31°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 69°F during the day and 16°F at night
- South Lake Tahoe gets about 20.35 inches of rain per year
- Hottest months are usually August and July with an average temperature of 80°F, while the coldest months are January and December with an average of 17°F