Visiting South Padre Island
Nature enthusiasts will enjoy exploring South Padre Island, and visitors give high marks for the beaches. This relaxing city also attracts tourists with its seafood restaurants. Top sights in the city include South Padre Island Beach and Schlitterbahn Beach Waterpark.
- There are 1426 hotels and other accommodations in South Padre Island
- The closest major airport is in Brownsville, TX (BRO-Brownsville-South Padre Island Intl.), 21.7 mi (34.9 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Harlingen, TX (HRL-Valley Intl.), 31.5 mi (50.7 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in South Padre Island
The city's cultural venues include Museums of Port Isabel and Little Graceland. Attractions like Schlitterbahn Beach Waterpark, Sea Turtle Rescue Center, and Sea Turtle Inc are fun for kids of all ages. The city is notable for landmarks like Port Isabel Lighthouse, Whaling Wall, and Battle of Palmito Hill Historical Monument.
In South Padre Island, you'll be able to select from 1426 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have ample places to choose from for your holiday retreat. Here you'll find top ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- The Palms Resort - Amenities at this hotel include a restaurant and free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its beach locale and helpful staff.
- Best Western Beachside Inn - Our customers like the family-friendly amenities and clean, comfortable rooms at this hotel. This 2.5-star hotel features free breakfast, an outdoor pool, and free WiFi.
- Upper Deck Hotel and Bar -Adults Only - With a stay at this 2-star hotel, guests can enjoy access to an outdoor pool and free parking, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its dining options and bar.
Other top sights in South Padre Island include South Padre Island Beach.
Dressing for South Padre Island
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 76°F during the day and 53°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 89°F, while the average at night is 65°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 90°F with nighttime averages of 75°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 87°F and nighttime averages of 53°F
- About 25.79 inches of rain falls on South Padre Island each year
- Usually August and September are the hottest months with an average of 89°F, whereas December and January are often coldest, averaging 55°F